Proposals for future of Northants now online
The proposed local government reform submission papers are now live on www.east-northamptonshire.gov.uk
Following a county-wide consultation exercise, a proposed submission has been drafted by all eight authorities in Northamptonshire. This will be discussed by councillors at meetings across the county week commencing 27 August.
In East Northamptonshire, councillors will meet 29 August. Details of the meeting can be found on our Agendas, reports and minutes web page.
All eight authorities in Northamptonshire have been asked by the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government to submit a proposal that meets the following criteria:
- A single county-wide unitary is explicitly excluded as an option
- Each new proposed authority must have a population substantially in excess of 300,000
- The proposal must be based on existing council boundaries
In addition to the criteria set out by the Secretary of State, Government has stated:
- Only one proposal will be accepted, not a range of options
- It must demonstrate clear potential for savings
- It must command a good deal of local support
- Due consideration should be given to recommendations in the Best Value Report
- Any solution should prioritise the Government's wider housing and growth agenda
- Extensive consultation must be carried out
If two or more councils decide to submit the proposal, it will be sent to the government on 31 August, signed by those who have decided to do so.
For more information on this press release email email@example.com or call 01832 742217.
Posted: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 14:14 by Emma Williams